Children love playing with walkie talkies. I remember being a kid, and while playing with my siblings, we would tie a thread at the bottom of two cups and pretend they were walkie talkies. Almost every kid has done this once or twice in their life. However, as you grow old, those cups start to look stupid, and you start learning about real walkie talkies.
An effortless way to communicate, even when cell service is not available, is by using walkie talkies, especially for people who like to explore remote areas and get off the grid. Regardless of the weather, you will be able to communicate clearly with the other party. Kids can also use them to make their games more fun.
Walkie talkies are easy to carry around as they are small. They can easily fit in your pockets and are lightweight. They can come in handy in many situations.
Walkie talkie conversations will improve your experience by guaranteeing communication. Some even offer weather updates and alerts. These waterproof walkie talkies will make any outdoor adventure safer and better by ensuring communication in any weather.
When you buy a walkie talkie, there are several features you need to consider. This article will help you find the features that will decide the perfect waterproof walkie talkie for yourself for a rugged adventure.
- 1 Benefits of Waterproof Walkie Talkies
- 2 How Do They Work?
- 3 Top 5 Waterproof Walkie Talkies
- 4 Buying Guide for the Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 FAQs
Benefits of Waterproof Walkie Talkies
It’s important to stay in touch with others, particularly when traveling or in a survival situation. Even at places where your cell phones do not have reception, the best waterproof walkie talkies will keep you connected to your group.
Walkie talkies come in quite a tiny size so that you get to take them wherever you want. These little two-way radios provide a large variety of features, which include weather warnings and SOS signals, in addition to providing communication.
They are useful not only for outdoor adventures but also for the staff in bars and clubs. They are used by police officers and guards as well. You can attach it to your shoulder, using it without holding it in your hands.
If you are an adventurer, they are especially useful for you because cell phones are not very reliable and in areas between mountains and valleys where there is no civilization around, getting phone reception can be almost impossible. Let’s face it, you can easily get lost in the mountains, so you need to have a pair of walkie talkie so that you can stay in touch with your companions.
The recent walkie talkies also have an enhanced range and updated frequency choices available. They also weigh considerably less, so even if you plan a long trip on foot, you won’t get tired of carrying a walkie talkie with you.
We will guide you on everything you need to know before purchasing a walkie talkie.
How Do They Work?
Walkie talkies are portable, wireless radios that can be carried anywhere with you. They look like wireless phones, but contrary to a phone, the loudspeaker and the microphone of a walkie talkie are positioned next to one another so that the person using it can follow the conversation in an earshot.
Walkie talkies are transceivers with battery power. The batteries are replaceable and can be changed when they run out of charge. They are usually half-duplex so that a signal can be transmitted by just one walkie talkie at a time.
Unlike your phone where both sides can disrupt or add to the conversation in an unceasing flow, walkie talkies use a push-to-talk system (PTT) because of which you need to press the microphone button to speak. To hear from the person on the other end, you must release the button.
Walkie talkies don’t rely on signals like cell phones, which is why they are more reliable. You won’t have to dial a bunch of numbers to communicate with someone. You can easily communicate with anyone who has a walkie talkie within your device’s range.
Top 5 Waterproof Walkie Talkies
Midland GXT1000VP4 50-Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio
- 2-WAY RADIOS - These walkie-talkies feature 50 GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) channels, along with channel scan to check for activity. The JIS4 Waterproof Protection prevents splashing water from having any harmful effect on it (splash resistant).
- 36-MILE RANGE - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction. Easy Voice and Sound Activation Transmission (eVOX) with 9 sensitivity levels for hands-free operation.
- 142 CTCSS/DCS PRIVACY CODES - The privacy codes give you up to 3,124 channel options to block other conversations.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT - NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area.
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Radios (x2), rechargeable battery packs (x2), boom mic headsets (x2), belt clips (x2), 120V dual desktop charger, AC adapter, DC adapter, and an owner's manual.
The GXT1000VP4 has been made by Midland, which produces some of the best walkie talkies out there. The GXT1000 series is a complete line of two-way radios designed to communicate powerfully in almost any situation.
This one has a maximum altitude of 8 miles over open water, 32 miles in the mountain to valley situations and 2 miles in a city. This range is fantastic if you travel in groups with different cars or for a team of triathletes.
This walkie talkie is waterproof, which makes it the best walkie talkie for any weather. It offers a total of 50 channels, enabling you to have access to a variety of channels.
Midland has also included a range of features to ensure you are fully informed and safe on your adventures. The radio offers 142 privacy codes and offers NOAA weather alerts as well as an emergency siren (SOS) that sends emergency distress and locator signal.
The battery of the GXT1000 stays fully charged for up to 11 hours, making it perfect for your day-long trips to the mountains or a secluded fishing lake.
- AA battery can be used as a backup power source
- Long range coverage
- Doesn’t make noise
- Can be hard to navigate the menus
- Uncomfortable headset
Motorola Talkabout T460 Rechargeable Two-Way Radio Pair
- With an IP-54** rating, this radio flaunts its weatherproof ID design making it ideal for protection from not only dust, but wet weather conditions be it snow or rain splashes.
- This radio has a built-in LED light which offers emergency lighting when needed.
- You will have 24/7 access to alerts ranging from flash floods to tornado warnings to national emergencies.
- With a range of up to 35 miles, 22 channels, each with 121 privacy codes, caller tones available
- The VibraCall silent vibrating ringer is especially useful for locations where ringing can be intrusive. This feature is also great when noise from a sporting event would drown out your ring tone.
Motorola has developed its reputation by providing high-quality products and reliable communicating devices. The T460 is not as amazing as the other products by this brand, but its lower price and reliable performance allow it to give good competition.
The T460 comes with IP54 waterproof rating, which makes it perfect for light rain. You can also expose it to heavy rain if the situation falls upon it and it will still survive.
This product is an incredibly handheld and water-resistant walkie talkie, which can be used in many occasions. Whether it’s hiking, camping, mountain climbing, or just backpacking around the country, you will stay connected even in harsh or severe weather.
Another amazing feature that is included in this walkie talkie is a silent call, which can be helpful when noisy ringing can be a problem.
This waterproof walkie talkie can come in handy in conditions that would usually affect the range. It claims to cover 35 miles of mountainous areas, 6 miles of open water and approximately 2 miles of neighborhoods. The range coverage of this device makes it an excellent option for all those who want to go on adventures in diverse areas.
It comes with a small USB charger, making it a great choice for situations where no charger outlet is available.
- Mini charger
- Amazing speaker
- Charges slowly
- Small power-on indicator
Uniden MHS75 2-Way VHF Marine Radio
- JIS8 Waterproof Level - Uniden MHS75 VHF Hand Held Radio won't give up no matter how wet it gets. Whitecap splash, gusty spray, tidal wave, whatever, this radio can take it. The Uniden MHS75 2-way Marine Radio is built rugged to take the rigors of being out on the water, day in and day out with a full JIS8 Submersible waterproof rating. Submersible for up to 30 minutes at five feet.
- 1 /2.5/5 Watt Switchable - Select between 1, 2.5, and 5 Watts for short- and long-range communication--this is also a convenient way to save a little battery life. In most situations, the 1 Watt transmission power is all you need. If you find yourself far away from other stations and have trouble getting a response, you may need to boost the transmission power from 1 Watt to 2.5 Watts or 5 Watts
- All USA, International, and Canada Channels - The MHS75 covers all USA, International, and Canadian marine channels, keeping you up-to-date with all the latest marine activity
- Instant Channel 16/9/Triple Watch - Triple Watch mode monitors channels 16 and 9 for a signal while you listen to the currently selected channel. The marine radio checks channel 16 and 9 for activity every 2 seconds
This walkie talkie is fully waterproof and easy to use. It can float on water to make sure it doesn’t sink or make it hard to find if it fell in the water. It offers a maximum of 12 hours of battery and includes NOAA emergency weather alerts. You can also monitor Coast Guard stations at the same time if you turn it on open water. This feature makes it a great maritime radio, ensuring that you are connected securely to every VHF radio station.
Uniden also comes with extra everything such as an additional antenna, extra wrist clip, and extra belt clip. Strapping the radio to your wrist will make it faster and easier for you to use it.
Another good feature of Uniden’s radio is its easy-to-read screen and LCD backlight. Hence, whether you are going camping in the night or hiking in the day, you can read the screen easily.
The only flaw of the MHS75 is that the charger is a DC connection and has a cigarette lighter receptacle.
- Extra belt, wrist clip, and antenna
- LCD backlight
- Anti-glare screen
- Long battery life
- Multiple stations are available
• Cigarette lighter receptacle on the charger
Cobra ACXT645 Two-Way Radio Pair
- Up to 35 mile range -Provide extended signal range with 3124 channel combinations
- 10 NOAA weather channels - Be prepared for storms and emergencies with built-in NOAA receiver
- Waterproof - Designed to IPX4/JIS4 waterproof standards
- VOX - Voice-activated transmission frees hands for other tasks
- Built-in LED flashlight
This walkie talkie is waterproof and has many other features making it in one of the best waterproof walkie talkies. It comes with rubber handles and an integrated LED flashlight, ensuring that you’re ready for an adventure regardless of the time of day.
This walkie talkie connects with ten NOAA channels while keeping you updated about the weather. It also comes with VibrAlert, which is a feature that allows the walkie talkie to vibrate every time you have an incoming signal or call so that you won’t miss anything.
The ACXT645 comes with a voice command activation, which is truly helpful in cases where you need both your hands. It can scan a total of 2662 channels while featuring 121 data protection codes.
You can make sure the walkie talkie is fully prepared for your use by using a dual charging system. It comes with a two-port charging dock and NiMH batteries. A great thing about the ACXT645 is that the batteries are rechargeable, which is helpful if you don’t have an outlet nearby. Wherever you go, take these walkie talkies with you, and you will be ready for an adventure.
However, you won’t get an accessory mic or a headset, so if you want to go hands-free, you will have to make further investments.
- A great choice for marines
- Durable battery
- Rubber grip
- Wide range of channels
- Voice command
- Flashlight option
- Clear reception
• No accessory mic or headset included
Olympia R100 Two-Way Radio Pair
- Top/mid/base ranges (miles) 40/9/2. Communication range of up to 40 miles is under optimum conditions
- Waterproof IP-54: Dust protected and splash-proof from any direction
- NOAA Weather alert channels - 24/7 and Built-in LED Flashlight (Emergency Light Source)
- 50 channels with 121 eliminator codes to reduce noise interference
- Includes: 2 radios, 2 belt clips, 1 Y cable micro-USB charging adaptor with dual connectors, 2 (AA) NiMH rechargeable battery packsand 1 Owner's Manual
The Olympia R100 is a stable and budget walkie talkie. The radios have a strong signal to allow them to operate in most situations but do not expect the reception quality to be as good as some of the major names in the market.
The R100 is waterproof with an IP54 rating. Its main components will stay safe from dust, and the body is sufficiently sealed to withstand mild to moderate rains.
This walkie talkie comes with a noise reduction feature and can scan up to 50 channels as well as provide NOAA weather alerts. It comes with 121 eliminator codes that handle interference on the channels.
This walkie talkie provides a distance of 37 miles, but you can even reach up to 42 miles if you have a clear line of sight without any obstacles. The Olympia waterproof walkie talkie comes in various ranges for you to choose from.
This waterproof walkie talkie can be easily recharged with a dual micro-USB charging cable, or you can use 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. However, the battery life isn’t too long.
- Noise and interference reduction
- Wide ranges available
- Dust and water protection
• Short battery life
Buying Guide for the Best Waterproof Walkie Talkies
Choosing the best is hard but not impossible. To determine the best waterproof walkie talkies, we are going to give you a guide on what to consider when you are purchasing one.
Very High Frequency or Ultra-High Frequency
You may want to consider if you wish to buy an Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) radio or Very High Frequency (VHF) radio. VHF radios operate between 126 and 174 MHz. They work great for long distances without too many buildings and landscapes acting as obstacles. They usually have long antennas and can penetrate leaves and trees.
On the other hand, UHF radios run on 400 to 512 MHz. Their ability to penetrate walls makes them more versatile than VHF radios. UHF radios have short waves and are great as portable devices because of their interference capability.
If you are purchasing more than a couple of walkie talkies, make sure they all work on the same frequency range as VHF and UHF are not compatible with each other.
It is necessary to look for extra features such as a headset, a hands-free kit, and other features when purchasing your two-way walkie talkie. Specific devices also offer security codes and noise cancellation features. You should pick a radio with a vibrating feature if you want to go hunting.
Furthermore, you can make sure that you do not accidentally press the talk button by choosing a radio that is equipped with a keystroke warning or keypad lock.
Additional features that are usually included in a walkie talkie are as follows:
- Backlit screen and a keyboard so that the device can be seen and used in the dark.
- An LCD screen lets you see how much battery you have left. It also shows a compass, alarms, and timers.
- The microphone jack helps keep the walkie talkie hands-free.
- Alerts notify you so that you can know when there’s an incoming message.
- Transmission affirmation lets you know about the beginning and end of a transmission to avoid interrupting.
- A channel saver can be used to save the stations you want.
In most cases, the walkie talkie manufacturer will specify how much distance walkie talkies can cover each other if there are no barriers between them, such as buildings and landscapes. A walkie talkie with an 8-mile range may only be able to cover 3 to 4 miles due to obstacles. Consider finding a walkie talkie with a larger range capacity. Most walkie talkie radios are available with a range of 20 to 50 miles.
Walkie talkies run on various battery types. In low budget devices, AA or AAA batteries are often used, though the most recent radios use a battery made of lithium-ion, nickel metal hydride or nickel-cadmium.
To decide how much battery life is required, you should try to estimate the average time of use of the radio. This is also important for you to know if you want to decide whether you should carry replacement batteries or not. The lifetime of the battery is generally estimated to be 90% standby, 5% reception and 5% transmission of the total time.
Different walkie talkies can support different channels. Before buying a walkie talkie, make sure you know what channels are supported by the device you want and what channels you will need. Approximately 20 channels are usually available, but the more stations a radio offers, the higher its price. Thus, knowing how you are going to use the radio before you make a purchase is essential. If you only have a recreational use for the radio, you will likely never even use the different channels, so your decision will be easier.
It is important to know that a radio with more than 22 channels will require some kind of license to be used. While the license is easy to obtain, it is still a hassle, so only go for walkie talkie with more than 20 channels if you need it.
We hope that this guide and the reviews of the best waterproof walkie talkies will help you narrow down your prospects and make your decision much easier.
Make a list of the features or characteristics you want that will suit your needs and buy a product accordingly. Before purchasing a walkie talkie, check out all the features and specifications of the product. Don’t forget to read up on customer reviews and see the first-hand experiences people have had with it.
You can also do a waterproof test if there is a need to check the water-resistant quality before going out in the wild and entirely depending on the walkie talkie. However, you should know that if an electronic device says it is waterproof and especially if it has been given an IP rating, it would have gone through a procedure to get its water resistance measured.
The second number in the IP rating code denotes the protection level against the entry of moisture. Hence, it is the second number you need to focus on to determine the level of water-resistance you will get. The number can range from 0 to 8, where 0 is not at all waterproof and eight means the device is completely submersible.
With the best waterproof walkie talkies, you can stay connected on your wild adventures. Top-notch walkie talkies can go wherever you go and even withstand the worst weather. We can only hope that this guide will help you find your favorite adventure partner.
Q. Where can these radios be useful?
Walkie talkies are an extremely useful device. Not only can they be entertaining for children, but they can also be life-saving for adults. In remote areas where there is no reception or reception is spotty, walkie talkies can be used to communicate with your group members. They can even connect to all walkie talkies within the range, so if you get lost and cannot get cell phone reception, you can always depend on a walkie talkie.
Q. How can I use it?
Walkie talkies are two-way radios, which means you and the person on the other end can communicate as if you are talking on your cell phone. However, unlike a cell phone, you will have to finish speaking to hear what the other person is saying. There is a button which you press before speaking to transmit your message. To hear what the other person is saying, you will have to release the button or else you hear nothing.
Q. How can I maintain it?
Most recent walkie talkies are dustproof and waterproof, so you won’t have to worry about them getting exposed to the elements. However, this certainly does not mean that you can throw your walkie talkie in water and leave it. If you leave it in the water for a long time, it could be ruined. Storing it will not be too difficult either. Just put it in a dry, dust-free spot like a closet or drawer after use, and you are good to go.