The world’s ocean is rife with some of the earth’s best-kept secrets. Every year scientists find more than a thousand new species of unique marine life. It’s often speculated that we have explored space more than we have speculated the ocean.
What used to be a hidden world of wonders is slowly starting to get unraveled thanks to technology. With the invention of underwater gear and waterproof cameras, we’re able to peer into the vastness of the ocean and uncover its many hidden gems.
Perhaps you’re one of these people and wish to explore the ocean for yourself. In that case, you’ll want a decent camera that can work underwater. Underwater cameras are widely used by anyone from a deep-sea diver, to a hobbyist, and everything in between.
Underwater cameras can also come in extremely handy if you’re a fisher. Visibility is never guaranteed when you’re fishing, and you have to rely on your best instincts. But it doesn’t have to be that way. You can significantly increase your chances of catching fish when you have tools like an underwater camera on hand.
But deciding on a decent underwater camera for yourself can be a big challenge itself. This reason is why we’re going to dive deep into this topic so you can find that best underwater fishing camera. We’ll also be looking at some aspects that you should be looking out for. This way, you’ll be able to find the best underwater fishing camera for yourself.
- 1 What Are the Benefits of Using An Underwater Fishing Camera?
- 2 How Does it Work?
- 3 Top 5 Best Underwater Fishing Camera Reviews
- 4 MarCum VS485C LCD Underwater Viewing System
- 5 Anysun Underwater Fish Finder
- 6 GoFish Cam Wireless Underwater Fishing Camera
- 7 Moocor Portable Fishing Finder Camera HD1000 TVL
- 8 How to Select the Best Underwater Fishing Camera
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Are the Benefits of Using An Underwater Fishing Camera?
Fishing has been around since the dawn of time, long before cameras were even invented. It’s been used by some of the earliest people on earth as a means of getting food. Knowing this, you might be wondering why an underwater fishing camera can help you.
Even though a lot of fishing involves instinct and patience, an underwater fishing camera can enhance your experience. For one reason, it can increase your visibility in the water. Sometimes you don’t have optimal conditions where the water is clean enough to see all the way through. This problem is especially real for fishing in areas that have a lot of underwater debris and are murky as a result. At other times you’re fishing at a greater depth, and it’s hard to see beyond the area where light cannot penetrate.
Another great reason to have an underwater fishing camera is for targeting purposes. Arguably, one of the most important aspects of underwater fishing is to find the optimal spot. You can spend hours trying to find the ideal place only to land in a mostly unpopulated area.
Underwater fishing cameras will help make your job a lot easier by aiding you to find the best locations for fishing. You can get the best points to set lures and cages, cast your rod, or throw a net. Moreover, you will be able to track the movements of the fish and act accordingly. You can even get information on what types of fish are in your specific fishing spot.
Overall, it gives you a great sense of what you’re up against. You can save time and effort by finding out the most effective places, lures, techniques, and bait that you can employ to make your underwater fishing experience that much sweeter.
How Does it Work?
If you have never used an underwater fishing camera before, you might be wondering how they work. The answer is surprisingly simple. Underwater cameras are not too far off from regular cameras, in their function. The only difference is that they have been built to withstand the conditions in the water.
These cameras have unique outer coverings that help them resist water. This feature keeps water from going and shorting out the electronics inside the camera. The great thing about underwater cameras is that they aren’t affected by the type of water so that you can use them in both fresh and saltwater with no real difference.
The other thing to note for underwater cameras is the lowering cables. These are special cables that are attached to the camera with the help of hooks and clips. You can use these cables to lower them down to your desired depth. After this, you can let the camera sit and adjust itself for optimum visibility. Usually, underwater cameras will lock their settings when they start to stabilize themselves. As soon as it’s all set up, you will be able to monitor the comings and goings of the fish underwater.
Top 5 Best Underwater Fishing Camera Reviews
BOBLOV 7 Inch 1000TVL 30m IR Camera
- 7 inch TFT color monitor with sun-visor for bright environment outside。with removable sunshield
- Resolution:HD 1000TV
- Night Vision:12 pcs Infrared LED
- Waterproof Level: IP68
- Application field: monitoring aquaculture, underwater exploration, Ocean/Ice/Lake fishing swimming/diving/snorkeling are all available
The Boblov 7 inch 1000TVL Fish Finder comes highly recommended from a lot of fishing enthusiasts. This camera comes equipped with a 7-inch color screen that also has a handy visor to prevent sun glare. It comes with a 12 piece infrared LED array on it which will help you see in dark environments easily.
The camera is also 1080p capable, which will give you a crisp and clear image underwater. Moreover, it’s IP68 certified, which means you can bring it down to low depths without worrying about any water getting into the camera. The only problem is the fact that you’re limited to a short viewing distance, but for most anglers, this isn’t a big problem — all in all, this a decent underwater camera for a beginner. If you are looking to get started with underwater fishing, this is the camera to get.
- 1080p Capable
- 7 Inch Color Screen with Sun Visor
- 12 pc infrared LEDs for nighttime visibility
- IP68 certified waterproofing
- Easy to set up and use
- Build quality isn’t the best out there
- Can’t see very far with this camera
MarCum VS485C LCD Underwater Viewing System
- 7 inch widescreen flat panel hi-res Monitor features switchable color and B/w LCD video out
- Resolution: 800 x 480 Pixels
- Sony super had II CCD has 1/3 inch image sensor and dark water LED Lighting
- Includes: 50ft camera cable, soft pack shuttle, Sun shield, 12-volt 7-amp rechargeable battery, 3-stage battery Charger and down-view/stabilizer fin
- One year warranty
The Marcum VS485C underwater camera comes from the reputable underwater camera manufacturers, MarCum Technologies. This product is a decent mid-range underwater camera for anyone looking to get into underwater fishing. This unit comes packed with a flat 7-inch screen with options to switch from color to black and white. It even has a video output option if you want to put it up on a large screen.
The Marcum VS485c is powered by a Sony Super Had II CCD has 1/3 inch image sensor. This means that you’re getting superior image quality. It even has LED lighting for dark water environments. Sadly, the screen only has a resolution of 800×480 which the most optimal. But thankfully, the high-quality image sensor cops for this discrepancy for providing a crisp image. For a sub $500 camera, the Marcum VS485C provides great value. Out of the box, you get a 50 ft long cable, a soft pack shuttle, a sun shield, a battery charger, and a down-view stabilizer fin.
- Flat 7-inch screen
- Color and B/W switchable image
- High-quality Sony Super sensor
- Great value for money
• It has a resolution of only 800×480.
Anysun Underwater Fish Finder
- IP68 Fish Finder Camera with Night Version：full waterproof IP68 design with 15m cable，can work in dark night and 15m deep water.
- MONITOR: 7 inch TFT color monitor with sun-visor ideal for bright environments. It is cold-resistant and waterproof with pull-resistant cables.
- IMAGE QUALITY: Color CCD and HD 700 TV lines of the camera provides a clearer image than a 600TV lines camera. This is the latest and most convenient Underwater Video Camera System.
- LONG BATTERY: 9-12H Working Time:built-in high capacity recharge battery,full charged could work all day.
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: 1-Year manufacturer's warranty and 30 days no questions asked return policy. Best fishing camera fish finder in the market for your money guaranteed, we stand by our products and stay at reach even after your purchase with 24/7 Customer service; Choose anysun risk-free Fish video camera .
Anysun has tapped into the budget underwater camera market with the Underwater Fish Finer. This one of the cheapest cameras you can find today selling for close to $100. But surprisingly, it doesn’t sacrifice its quality with the price. This is a fully fledged underwater camera that comes with a 7 inch TFT color screen with a removable sun shield.
One of the most standout features of this camera is its battery life. The Anysun Fish Finder promises to provide 9 to 12 hours of battery timing on a single charge. This feature makes it ideal for long fishing trips. It’s also IP68 certified, which makes it dust and waterproof at a depth of 15 meters. There are a few downsides to it like the poor visibility in murky water. But at the end of the day, it’s incredibly cheap for what it does. If you’re an extremely tight budget and just an underwater camera for basic needs, this will do it.
- Affordable price point
- IP68 certified waterproof up to 15m
- Long battery life
- One year manufacturer warranty
• Only works well in clear water
GoFish Cam Wireless Underwater Fishing Camera
- Full hd video 1080P @ 60Fps, 30Fps, and 720P @ 60Fps
- Easy in-line rigging and stabilized design hydrodynamic shape for steady recording
- Night vision green leds for deep water and night fishing
- Mobile app integration
- REVIEW & SHARE - Use the app to review and share your fishing adventure."
If you need something a little different, the GoFish Wireless Fishing Camera will suit your needs. Unlike a traditional setup with a camera and a separate viewing screen, the GoFish Cam provides you with just the camera. The idea here is that the camera can wirelessly connect to your phone to display the image. All you need to do is installing the app on your smartphone, and you can start viewing the feed.
While this does rid you of clunky setups to bring around, you do need to have a smartphone to use it. Thankfully though, the result of this camera is incredible with support for up to 1080p at 60 fps. It comes with its dedicated green LEDs for lighting, and its hydrodynamic shape keeps its stable even with flowing currents. It manages to do this by being extremely heavy for its size, which makes it a challenge to handle sometimes.
- Sleek and easy to carry around
- LEDs for night time viewing
- 1080p at 60 fps image quality
- Hydrodynamic shape for stability
- Need a decent smartphone to view the feed
- Costly for a single camera unit
- Heavier than most cameras
Moocor Portable Fishing Finder Camera HD1000 TVL
- PROFESSIONAL FISHING FINDER: this fish finder includes 2 parts: underwater camera and HD LCD monitor, it's a good partner for those who like sea fishing or ice fishing, this machine helps you to monitor the fish and to observe the underwater topographic, you can see clearly if the fish bite the hooks or not
- IP68 UNDERWATER CAMERA: with 15m special waterproof, cold-resistant and anti-pressing cable, HD 1000TVL fishing camera can reach the deep sea and can hold up to 30kg pull, the camera equips with some infrared LED lamps, which provide highlight night light; the image sensor chip is adopted with 1/3.6 inch and 440,000 pixels, it ensures clear and color image, cmos sensor, low-level lighting is 0.01Lux
- MULTI-FUNCTION LCD MONITOR: portable high resolution LCD fish monitor has sun visor and highlight LED backlight, can be used under the sun, HD 3.5in LCD display comes with multiple functions such as: 3x digital zoom, low battery reminder, high fidelity video output, power saving mode
- WIDE APPLICATIONS: sturdy and durable depth finder can be used in various fishing activities, it has long standby time, the using time of the lithium battery is up to 8 hours after a full charge; bring on underwater fishing camera for sea fishing, ice fishing, lake fishing, boat fishing, kayak fishing and you will become the champion fisherman; it's also a perfect gift to your fisher and friends or family who like fishing
- PRODUCT WARRANTY: All our products have passed FCC, CE, RoHS certificate, we guarantee all products we sell with high quality, we provide 365 days warranty, 45 days return, 24 hours customer service, we will try our best to serve each customer well
The Moocor Portable Fishing Finder is a nice compromise between a full camera setup and a wireless camera. This underwater camera is designed to be hooked up to your rod, so you can get clear images without having to put your rod down. It’s a great option If you’re out looking to do ice or boat fishing. This camera is specifically designed for ice fishing in mind thanks to its cold resistant design.
The Morcor is extremely light and sleek in its design. You can easily take it with you anywhere, and it will last you a long time thanks to its 8-hour battery timing. But being portable doesn’t mean that this camera slacks its performance. The high-quality sensor delivers stunning images at a high resolution. The sensor has enough low light sensitivity for it to be used in dark environments. You can also use the digital zoom function to hone in on your desired fishing spots.
- Portable and easy to use
- Great for rod fishing
- The cold resistant design makes it suitable for ice fishing
- Low light sensitive sensor
- Digital zoom function
• Doesn’t have on/off button
How to Select the Best Underwater Fishing Camera
An underwater camera can be a valuable tool for your fishing experience. But the problem arises when you’re trying to pick a suitable underwater camera for yourself. Not all cameras are equal, and you will find vast differences among a lot of them.
Simply picking one isn’t as easy as you would think. A lot of variables go into picking out a suitable underwater fishing camera. There can be so much to consider with all the different models and features out there. We’re going to look at some of the most common aspects that you should look out for. These will help you better identify what it is that you need to choose the best underwater fishing camera.
The first thing to consider when deciding which underwater camera to buy is to determine which type you need. Different types of cameras will work for various reasons.
The traditional underwater camera setup includes the camera plus a separate screen setup that can be used to monitor the feed. These cameras usually left at a certain depth or the bottom of the ocean floor. These cameras can be used for any fishing.
Wireless cameras, on the other hand, are meant to be more portable and hassle-free. The camera is more or less the same to traditional units. However, the camera is linked wirelessly with a smartphone or tablet using an app. This is helpful if you’re looking to shed some weight from your fishing gear.
No doubt, if you’re buying an underwater camera, you’ve thought about the price. Cameras come in different price brackets according to their needs. A beginner camera will be cheaper while a professional camera can cost you upwards of several hundred. It’s always wise to pick according to the best value you get.
One of the most important aspects of picking a camera, from a technical aspect, is the sensor itself. Many different cameras will come with different types of sensors from different manufacturers, so you need to be aware of which one you opt for.
Sensor quality will directly impact the picture quality you’re going to get. A high-quality sensor will deliver a much clearer and crisper image than a low-quality one. Many manufacturers skimp out on decent sensors to save money. But this only ends up negatively affecting the quality of the camera. Make sure that whichever camera you decide to buy has a good sensor from a known and reputable company.
When you have a camera underwater, it’s prone to all kinds of damage. Everything from the water to the sea floor can damage your camera over time. When buying an underwater camera, you have to make sure that it can stand up to being thrown against rocks and debris by currents. You also have to make sure that it can stand up to cold and saline environments easily.
Just like sensors can affect the quality of the image being captured, screens will affect the quality of the image being displayed. There’s no point in getting an underwater camera with a good sensor only to have a lackluster screen to go with it.
Make sure that whichever unit you decide to buy has a screen with a decent resolution. Most of these cameras will use low-resolution screens because they have smaller screens, to begin with. But if you have a decent 7 inches sized screen, you should be looking at getting a higher resolution for your camera.
Fishing has always been about being patient until you get the right opportunity. This is why fishing trips can often last upwards of hours. However, if your underwater camera decides to die out on you in the middle of your fishing, then your day is essentially ruined.
Battery timing plays a very critical role when it comes to fishing. Sometimes you have to scout a spot for hours before you can make any progress. Other times you’re on a boat with nowhere to charge your camera’s battery. Essentially, your entire experience hinges on having a camera with enough battery, so make sure you have one that can last long.
Comparing warranties is a great way to select an underwater camera. Many cheaper companies don’t offer a warranty policy, but reputable manufacturers will provide a year’s worth of coverage. Make sure that whichever underwater camera you choose has the right coverage for your needs.
Fishing is a hobby to some and a skilled art for others. But even among the vast number of fishing enthusiasts, you will find that the right tools are necessary for the job. This is why you have to be selective about choosing your bait, your rod, and of course, your underwater fishing camera.
Choosing an underwater camera for yourself is never a straightforward task. Different people have different requirements that they need to meet, so it’s not always an entirely universal decision. You will get mixed answers depending on who you ask.
The real key to picking out your underwater fishing camera is to focus on your personal needs. There will be many cameras out there that will have a sizeable reputation, but not all of them will suit your requirements.
You have to pay attention to your preferences. If you want an underwater fishing camera that can help you improve your fishing. And have something that will last you for years to come.
Hopefully, this guide will help you in picking the ideal underwater fishing camera by providing you with helpful tips and popular underwater cameras that you can buy today.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it easy to setup and use an underwater fishing camera?
For the most part, underwater cameras aren’t too hard to set up and maintain. However, depending on the type and model of your camera, you may have to spend a little more effort in setting up. Almost all underwater cameras will come with detailed instructions on how you can properly set them up for use.
How to clean and maintain?
Generally, you don’t have to spend much time cleaning your underwater camera. You can run your camera under clean running water to get rid of surface level grime or dirt. If you have pieces of seaweed, debris, algae, or gravel buildup in crevices, then you might have to use a soft brush with some rubbing alcohol to get it loose.
How to store an underwater fishing camera?
Most underwater cameras come with their carrying cases that you can use to store the camera in. Otherwise, you can always use a small pouch or a waterproof bag to store your camera in safely.
How long does an underwater camera last?
Different underwater cameras will last up to different periods. Extremely low-end models will last only a couple of months while branded cameras can last up to several years. Most cameras will last up to a year just fine. However, it will also depend on how frequently you use it.
How much do underwater cameras run on battery?
Your battery life is usually determined by what kind of underwater fishing camera you get. Some cameras can last up to 8 hours on a single charge. Other cameras can only run up to 3-4 hours or less. It depends on the conditions and what mode you use on the underwater camera.