Everybody knows people enjoy ice fishing on a frozen lake, which means slipperiness. If you have slipped on a solid surface, you know how dangerous it is and how seriously injured you can get if the fall is severe. Nobody wants to have their hip broken on a fishing trip, which is why ice cleats are so essential to wear.
There are many types of ice fishing cleats available. Some are excellent at the task, while others leave a lot to be desired. You need to get the right pair if you want to make the most out of it. However, finding the best ice fishing cleat can be a difficult task. It’s important to have the best one because you would not want to spend money on something that will not serve you properly.
There are different factors to consider before buying ice cleats that will help you choose the most suitable one for your needs. We will discuss all this in the article. We will also review the five best ice cleats there are to help you buy the best ones for your ice fishing trips.
- 1 Why We Should Use Ice Cleats?
- 2 How Do They Work?
- 3 5 Best Ice Cleats for Ice Fishing
- 4 Features to Consider When Buying Ice Cleats
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 FAQs
Why We Should Use Ice Cleats?
Many people suffer from injuries due to tripping and falling while walking on ice. Such injuries can even be fatal or lead to lifelong complications, so it is important to take every precaution to stay safe. Usually, people trip because of the absence of a proper gripping material that would help them walk on ice. Ice cleats help solve this issue.
The cleats help create traction between the shoes and the floor, hence preventing slips, trips, and falls. They make it more comfortable as well as safe to walk on ice. However, they don’t give 100% protection, so you still need to be careful.
Ice cleats are not only beneficial for ice fishing but also useful in other situations. For instance, workers are advised to wear ice cleats during winter, especially in areas like hallways, parking lots, and sidewalks. Cleats can also be used for climbing or running on slippery surfaces. Thus, you won’t be wasted in your money on ice cleats as they will come in handy even if you are not going ice fishing.
Some cleats also have the elasticity that allows you to put them on and off easily. You can even wear some cleats over your regular shoes or boots to walk around outdoors and quickly remove them when they are not needed.
How Do They Work?
As we mentioned before, ice cleats are made to avoid slips, trips, and falls. Different cleats are made for different purposes, but they all provide the same basic functionality. Usually, cleats are like a frame, made of rubber or chain, that you can wear over your shoes. You can also take them off whenever you want.
Some ice cleats are better designed than others. For instance, a pair with spikes works far better than the ones made of rubber. The spikes give you a more solid grip on the ice, resulting in far fewer chances of slipping. Another type of ice cleat comes with a nylon strap with a steel stud plate attached to it. There are also ones that look like car tire chains but are attached to shoes.
All these ice cleats accomplish the same basic function – creating traction. You still need to make sure you choose the right ice cleats for the job or else your chances of falling will rise drastically.
5 Best Ice Cleats for Ice Fishing
Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device
- Ergonomic plate system for added spike stability
- Elastomer harness easily stretches to fit most footwear
- Rip and stick over-shoe strap keeps device secure on footwear
- Two-thirds of an inch spikes grip ice and packed snow
- Hinged plate flexes with the sole of the boot
The Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device is an ergonomically designed pair that fills up the gap between a mountain climbing cleat and an ice cleat. It is designed in a way that offers stability and gives traction. The most important feature of this traction device is that it is easy to put on and take off according to your convenience.
This ice cleat comes with an elastomer harness that allows the device to stretch and fit on different sizes of shoes, so you will not have to worry about buying the wrong size. Furthermore, this pair is incredibly lightweight, and you will not even know you have it on.
It comes with 2 to 3 inches of sharp spikes on the sole that gives a solid grip on slippery ice, soft snow and many other surfaces. These spikes make it one of the best ice cleats for ice fishing.
The only downside is that it is expensive. However, the price can be justified as it can work well in every situation, whether you want to use it for hiking, climbing, or ice fishing.
- Elastomer harness can fit over different sizes easily
- 2 to 3 inches of sharp spikes
- Gives solid grip and stability
- Ergonomically designed
- The pair is more expensive than comparable shoes
- The spikes are short due to which it has a limited bite
STABILicers Maxx Ice Traction Cleat
- MAXX: Winter can be tough, but our STABILicers Maxx are tougher. This is serious traction gear for people who work and play in the outdoors. Engineered for high-performance to keep you mobile in the harshest ice, snow, and wintry conditions.
- VERSATILE: STABILicers Maxx are best-in-class and first in safety. Providing proven traction solutions, STABILicers help keep teams safe and secure. Off the job, STABILicers work great on slippery surfaces while hiking, fishing, or any outdoor activity.
- EASY WEAR AND DURABLE: 34 replaceable, heat-treated steel cleats easily attach to shoes and boots with adjustable SureFit polyester hook-and-loop bindings that hold strong, even when wet. Long-lasting soles are designed to endure the toughest environment.
- REDUCE INJURY: Reduce the risk of injury from slips and falls by providing traction in ice, snow, or other poor conditions. STABILicers unique full-sole coverage with cleats on heel and forefoot maintain traction through your natural stride.
- Made in USA: Designed and manufactured in the USA to the highest quality and performance standards, the Maxx is ideal for postal letter carriers, police, rescue teams, and crews everywhere who brave dangerous elements to get the job done.
These ice traction cleats are one of the most durable and high-quality pairs out there. These heavy-duty cleats can work with 100% efficiency, even in the coldest of weather. They are made of 34 replaceable, heat-treated steel, which will last you for a long time. They also come with a SureFit polyester hook that stays on even when it gets wet and allows you to adjust the fitting of the cleats.
The STABILicers Maxx is manufactured in a way that keeps you stable on ice and gives longer durability to the product. If you want to buy this pair, make sure you get the correct size with the correct traction level. The traction level varies from aggressive to most aggressive. However, the price may differ according to the size.
It has many positive reviews and offers full-sole coverage so that you can walk with a more natural stride. It is also great for hiking along with ice fishing.
- Provides efficiency
- Long lasting
- Made of 34 replaceable, heat-treated steel
- Provides stability
- Hook-and-loop binding keeps it fitted
- It gives a full-sole coverage
• Different price for different sizes
Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats
- Traction cleats that fit over shoes for safely walking, hiking, or jogging on packed snow or ice
- Made of high-strength, abrasion-resistant 1.4 mm stainless-steel coils and heavy-duty rubber; secured to shoes with durable rubber straps
- Provides 360 degrees of traction on cold surfaces for all-direction stability
- Durable rubber foot frame with removable over-foot strap ensures an excellent fit
- Tested safe from breakage in temperatures as low as -41 degrees F; available in S, M, L, and XL sizes to fit most shoes.Spikeless, ultra lightweight design
Regardless of how harsh the weather is, you can be confident that these ice cleats will keep you safe. The Yaktrax Pro ice cleats provide great traction, security, and confidence for climbing, hiking or walking on heavy ice or snow. The unique feature of the Pro cleats is their 360-degree traction, providing stability in all directions. Hence, they are great for ice fishing as well as other outdoor activities.
The Pro ice cleats can easily fit over your boots and are safe and securely fitted with a long-lasting rubber strap that won’t let the cleat come off easily. The manufacturers made these ice cleats with abrasion- and rust-resistant materials, and they offer a lot of strength. They are made of heavy-duty rubber with a durable rubber strap.
Also, this pair has an innovative coil design that offers unmatched stability on ice and snow and even allows users to walk on dry ground. Thus, you won’t have to repeatedly put it on and take it off according to the surface. You can keep it on for your entire trip. However, rocky surfaces will pose to be a challenge for these cleats.
- Provides stability
- High quality
- Made of rust- and abrasion-resistant material
- Can survive harsh weather
- Durable rubber strap
- May not fit properly due to the wrong size
- Will not work on rocky surfaces
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats
- Shoe grips designed to provide aggressive traction in winter walking conditions
- Made of case-hardened steel alloy and strung on steel aircraft cable
- Riveted to tough rubber sling that fits tennis shoes, boots and dress shoes
- Sling remains elastic even in subzero temperatures to keep grips secure
- Self-clearing design prevents snow and ice buildup
The ICETrekkers Diamond Grip cleats offer a wide variety of features that make them suitable for ice fishing. They can fit over most boots as well as tennis shoes and can survive in harsh winters.
As the name suggests, these ice cleats come with Diamond Grips, which offer a lot of traction on ice and snow in any circumstances. This feature allows the cleats to be used for ice fishing as well as rock climbing, hiking and running. They are even suitable for use on mud.
Furthermore, the ice cleats are made with a case-hardened steel alloy combined with a secure aircraft cable that fits tightly and firmly on the shoes. They are easy to wear and take off because of the durable rubber sling.
Another feature that makes these cleats more favorable than the others is that they come with a self-cleaning mechanism. Hence, you won’t have to wash them after every use.
- Can fit on most types of footwear
- They are designed to be tightly attached to the shoes
- Can work on most surfaces including ice, snow, mud, and rocks
• Expensive than most other brands
Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction Cleats
- Award-winning traction digs in and grabs icy terrain
- Great for winter trail running, hiking, and ice fishing
- 12 Stainless Steel spikes (3/8 inch length) per foot on all sizes
- Weight Per Pair: Small 11 oz., Medium 12 oz., Large 13 oz., Extra Large 14 oz.
- Please refer to Kahtoola sizing chart included in product images. 2 Year Warranty. Shoes not included.
This product is another excellent pair for ice fishing. The Kahtoola MICROspikes traction cleats will allow you to have a safe journey even if you encounter slippery ice, snow, or rocks.
Each unit has twelve cleats designed to give fantastic traction on smooth and slippery surfaces as these 3/8-inch spikes can dig deep into the surface. The spikes are made of heat-treated 400 series of stainless steel, which means they are sharp and will last for a long time.
The cleats come in various sizes for different kinds of shoes. They are made with high-quality material. Plus, you won’t need a strap to wear the cleats as they are manufactured with a touch elastomer harness that provides a secure and snug fit.
The cleats are lightweight and small. Hence, when they are not needed, you can easily take them off and carry them around in your purse, bag, or even pockets if they are big enough.
- Different sizes for different shoes
- Color options available
- Spikes made of heat-treated 400 series stainless steel
- Durable and stable
- The small size makes it easier to carry
- Snug fit on any shoes
- Gives a strong grip
• Very expensive
Features to Consider When Buying Ice Cleats
To make sure you get the best ice cleats for ice fishing, you will have to do the proper research and consider some important factors before making your purchase. Taking your needs into account is vital as even the best ice cleats may fail you if used in situations they are not meant for. You need to consider factors like the type of ice fishing you would be doing and the kind of surface you would be walking on.
You should put more attention on these things below:
The material of the ice cleats is a crucial factor to keep in mind when purchasing a pair. There are many options in this area. You will find cleats made of aluminum, stainless steel or rubber. Your choice will depend on what kind of cleats you want and for what purposes. However, the most versatile material is steel attached to a rubber frame, which is suitable for most situations.
You also need to know that different materials have different lives. If you want the most durable one, cleats made of steel with a rubber frame will be your best bet. However, if you want something more comfortable, go for one made entirely of rubber.
The weight of the cleats greatly affects performance. There is no point in buying heavy ice cleats as they will only slow you down, defeating their purpose. Therefore, you need to go for a lightweight pair.
I would advise you to go to a store yourself and try it on to see if it is lightweight. Remember that the ice gets stuck to the spikes sometimes and makes the cleats heavier. Hence, you need to consider that when you are assessing the weight.
Ice cleats can be used for more than just fishing on the ice. Getting a pair that will work in different circumstances will allow you to save up on money as you won’t have to spend on many different products.
However, while looking for flexibility, make sure you don’t compromise on your safety. Walking on ice is a tricky business, so you need to be careful not to buy a product that will increase your chances of slipping and falling on ice.
Different ice cleats come with different types of spikes. There are two common types: nano-spikes and micro-spikes. Remember that the sharper and bigger the spikes, the safer for you to walk.
The size is also an important feature. If the ice cleats are too big or too small than your shoes or boots, they will cause even more problems. You will either get no support or be denied comfort. You need to select a pair that fits your shoes perfectly.
A regular ice fisher has to walk for long distances to find the perfect spot, so comfort should be on top of your list. You would not want to be uncomfortable in freezing weather and strain your leg or ankle with all that walking. For long trips, try to get as comfortable as cleats as possible.
Warranty and Reviews
It can be hard to know which product is genuinely good when you shop online. To ensure you get the right pair, carefully look at customer and critic reviews to know whether the manufacturers deliver what they promise. Also, checks for warranties as cleats with longer warranties are more likely to be durable and last you for a long time.
Once you equip yourself with the proper gear, you will be able to enjoy ice fishing to the utmost. You just have to make sure you buy ice cleats that are easy to wear, long lasting and made of high-quality materials and give you a firm grip. Also, make sure they are lightweight and user-friendly. Getting the best ice cleats for ice fishing will double your fun.
However, before you rush to click the buy button, make sure you do all your research. Check the warranties, read reviews, and prioritize the features you want. Different ice cleats give a different performance in different situations. Hence, make sure you buy one according to your needs.
We have reviewed the best ice cleats for ice fishing above to help make this decision easier for you. Of course, if none of these appeals to you, you can choose any other pair. Properly evaluate the product before you buy it.
You can use ice cleats for other purposes as well, but before doing that, check whether your ice cleats are meant for those situations. There are tons of information available online to help you figure this out.
Q. Are ice cleats safe to wear indoors?
Since ice doesn’t exist indoors, manufacturers don’t create a product that can tackle indoor flooring materials. They can’t be used on tiles, marble, or concrete. Ice cleats are made of materials that can penetrate snow, which can be a slipping hazard if used indoors.
Q. How long do ice cleats last?
The durability of ice cleats depends on the material they are made from. Stainless steel and aluminum are likely to last longer than rubber ones.